POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Re: Fire : Re: Fire Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:31:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fire
From: jute
Date: 5 Sep 2004 17:55:01
Message: <web.413b8a5616273ab26f84e23f0@news.povray.org>
There are so many different kinds of flames and fires (from gasoline
explosion to a gentle candle flame) that without more information it's
difficult to give you anything but this:

#declare Flame = density {
  spherical
  scale 0.5
  // warp { turbulence 0.5 }
  #local ovec = <Orange.x, Orange.y, Orange.z>;
  #local yvec = <Yellow.x, Yellow.y, Yellow.z>;
  color_map {
    [0.0 rgb 0]
    [0.7 rgb 0]
    [0.7 rgb 0.5]
    [0.75 rgb vlength(ovec)]
    [0.8 rgb vlength(yvec)]
    [0.9 rgb 1]
    [1.0 rgb 1]
  }
}

I've used it succesfully with media { emission Gold*Brightness }, where
Brightness is adjusted according to your media container and/or other
environmental details.  Add turbulence according to your needs; the scaling
is there to account for precisely that, in the common case of having a unit
sphere/cube as a container.   Note, however, that this Flame does not
simulate the bluish base (or outline) present in many flames.  If you wish
to try other patterns than spherical, be aware that the color_map above
works very well if you just adjust the 'baseline', that is, keep the
relative distances between the non-black colors the same.

I've been playing with fire ( ;-) ) in POV-Ray for waaaaay too many hours
during the past six months, and will post on my results 'any day now' (that
is, whenever I get around to doing that RSOCF 'first post' image!)